Thursday, February 4, 2010

Pot Roast With Mushrooms and Savory Gravy


I suppose it's been a cooking kind of week for me.  Here is yet another something I made.  Go me.  I've really been enjoying the cooking, and for me I'm being VERY good about eating the leftovers.  I put it away such that I have enough meat to go on a sandwich in a small tupperware ready to go to work with me tomorrow (and the rest of the steamed vegetables).  The left over mashed potatoes are measured and packed up to make potato pancakes out of one of the mornings this weekend. 

It says to slice the roast but it was falling apart, I tried my best but there was no way the slices were going to look all that much like slices.  It did cook for about 11 hours because of the way work and my meeting tonight went.  So maybe it would be more sliceable if it went a couple hours less?  But either way it was tasty.  Oh and I ended up buying a dry packet of mushroom gravy and mixing it up instead of a jar since I couldn't find it in a jar.  And I bought 8 oz of fresh mushrooms instead of ones out of a jar and sauteed them real quick in the pan I used for the onions, because fresh is better if you ask me.
_________________

Pot Roast With Mushrooms and Savory Gravy
By Diana Rattray, About.com Guide

This pot roast is delicious and so easy to prepare and cook in the slow cooker. Serve this pot roast with mashed potatoes and your favorite vegetables on the side.

Prep Time: 0 hour, 15 minutes
Cook Time: 9 hours, 0 minute

Ingredients:
1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil or canola oil
1 pot roast, chuck arm or bottom round, visible fat trimmed, about 3 to 4 pounds
salt and pepper
1/4 cup flour
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 large jar or can sliced mushrooms, 6 to 8 ounces
1 jar (12 ounces) mushroom gravy
3/4 cup dry red wine

Preparation:

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the roast with salt and pepper then dredge with flour. Sear on all sides until nicely browned. Transfer the browned roast to the slow cooker. Add onions to the skillet and cook, stirring, until browned and slightly wilted. Add to the crockpot.

Combine the drained mushrooms with the mushroom gravy and red wine; pour over the roast. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours, or until very tender. Remove the roast to a plate and keep warm. Pour juices into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil for 3 to 5 minutes, or until reduced by about one-quarter to one-third. Slice the roast and serve with the gravy.

Based on the recipe builder I called this 8 servings and it was 8 pts a serving (I used a 2.5 lb roast so that's what I calculated my points by)

No comments:

Post a Comment