Monday, January 18, 2010

Old-Fashioned Chicken Pot Pie

Last week at the WW meeting the Weight Watchers weekly that they hand out had a recipe that was a make over of an Old-Fashioned Chicken Pot Pie.  I ended up changing it slightly because I didn't cook enough chicken and in the process cut another point off the dinner, go me.  Richard and I are not huge chicken fans anyways so it ended up a good thing for us, another cup would have been way to much for our liking.  The only switch I made was it called for 3 cups chicken and 2 cups frozen veggies,  I did 2 cups chicken and 3 cups frozen veggies (and I adjusted the recipe below for what I actually did, it's not exactly what was called for).  It worked out perfectly, I want to try to make some more of these with different veggies sometime as well, so many possibilities.  Richard and I both felt like we needed more crust, the recipe calls for 4 crescent rolls used on the top for the crust. The package came with 8 rolls so I ended up cooking up the other 4 crescents and we each ate one cut up with our pot pie to add more "crust".  One serving was enough for me, Richard went back for seconds.  If you make it the way I made it, one serving is 4 points, if you go by what they put in it one serving was 5 points.  The crescent rolls are 2 points so all in all it ended up a 6 point dinner for me, and the left overs will make a great 4 point lunch tomorrow!
__________________________________

Old-Fashioned Chicken Pot Pie
From weightwatchers.com and slightly tweaked by me

2 servings butter-flavor cooking spray
1 tsp butter
1 small onion, chopped
2 cups mushrooms, sliced
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp dried thyme, crushed
1/2 tsp salt, or more to taste (I used seasoning salt for just a little extra flavor since I can't have pepper)
1/4 tsp pepper (which I left out, gotta love allergies)
3 cups frozen mixed vegetables (recipe called for 2 cups)
1 cup canned chicken broth
2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast (recipe called for 3 cups)
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 cup fat-free evaporated milk, divided
4 rolls reduced-fat crescent rolls dough, unrolled

Preheat oven to 375ºF. Coat a 10-inch round shallow baking dish with cooking spray.

Coat a large pot with cooking spray. Add butter and melt over medium heat. Add onion and mushrooms and cook, until tender, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. Stir in paprika, thyme, salt and pepper. Add vegetables, broth and chicken. Cover and simmer 15 minutes.

In a small cup, combine flour and 1/4 cup of evaporated milk; stir into chicken mixture. Cook over medium heat until thickened, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes. Stir in remaining 1/4 cup of evaporated milk and cook until mixture is slightly thickened, about 2 to 3 minutes more.

Spoon chicken mixture into prepared baking dish. Unroll crescent rolls and arrange dough around inside edge of baking dish to form a border (there will be a hole in the middle). Bake until rolls are golden brown and filling is bubbly, about 15 minutes. Cut into 6 pieces and serve.

This is what one serving looked like in a bowl:

No comments:

Post a Comment