Saturday, January 30, 2010

Three Bean Turkey Chili


Last weekend we went down and visited the Hoppers and I got this recipe out of one of Valerie's slow cooker books.  Then I tweaked it a bit because it called for things I didn't really want in it.  I was just going to put down the recipe as I did and not tell you how it should have been. But that seemed weird so here are the differences:  I added undrained green beans instead of chilies and it also called for quite a few diced tomatoes which I left out completely and added in a cup of primevara pasta sauce instead.  I think it would have been less thick if I had added a bit more sauce or the tomatoes like it called for since they were undrained.  But it was pretty good this way, chili seems to me to be one of those things that I will just kind of have to play around with until I end up with the perfect mixture for me.
____________________________

Three Bean Turkey Chili

1.25 lb ground turkey
1 small onion, chopped
1 can (15 ounces) chick-peas (garbonzo beans), rinsed and drained
1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1 can (14.5 ounces) green beans, undrained
1 cup primevara pasta sauce
2 Tbsp chili powder

1. Cook turkey and onion in medium skillet over medium-high heat, stirring to break up meat until turkey is no longer pink.  Drain; place turkey mixture in slow cooker.

2.  Add remaining indredients and mix well.  Cover; cook on HIGH 6 to 8 hours.

Makes 6 to 8 servings

6 servings = 8 points
8 servings = 6 points

Richard added in pepper, cajun seasoning and some of the hot chili powder to add a even more flavor.  He also added cheese and saltine crackers to his.  The cheese would add points but it does look like a good addition.

No comments:

Post a Comment