Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Chicken and Dumplings


I have always loved Chicken and Dumplings, having cooked a whole chicken earlier in the week I decided to boil down the carcass and make some dumplings!  I losely followed a recipe I found online at cooks.com called Grandma's Chicken and Dumpling soup, but I added and subtracted based on what sounded good to me and recommendations from various dumpling recipes I had found.  The recipe below is as close to what I actually did as I can write it, I didn't change the dumpling part at all but the soup is quite different from what I found online.  I absolutely loved these dumplings and it made enough that we had left overs for a couple dinners and I had it for lunch most days I didn't have it for dinner.  I wonder why I never made this before!

_______________________

Chicken and Dumpling soup

To make Chicken Broth this is what I did:

In an 8 quart pot add 1 chicken carcass to about 4 quarts water, bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for 1 hour, strain, remove chicken from carcass, place chicken in the chicken broth.  Then I stored the broth in the fridge until the next day when I was actually making the chicken and dumplings.

Bring chicken broth to a boil and add 2 chicken breasts and 2 bay leaves in from previous day, simmer for about an 1 1/2 hours until chicken is tender

Once chicken is tender:
Add chicken bouillon and herbs to taste
1 (10 3/4 oz.) can sodium free chicken broth
1 (10 3/4 oz.) can cream of chicken and mushroom soup
1 (10 3/4 oz.) can cream of chicken soup
4 stalks chopped celery
4 carrots chopped
1 c. chopped onion
ground clove to taste (2-3 shakes)
thyme to taste
seasoned salt to taste

Put cover on kettle; simmer soup on low heat for 2 to 3 hours.

Feather Dumplings:
2 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. white or black pepper
1 egg, well beaten
2 tbsp. melted butter
2/3 c. milk

About 30 minutes before serving, mix up feather dumplings by sifting dry ingredients together. Add egg, melted butter and enough milk to make moist, stiff batter. Drop by teaspoons into boiling liquid. Cook, covered and without "peeking", for 18 to 20 minutes or until the dumplings are done. Yield: 10 to 12 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment