Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Chicken with "Cider" and Bacon Sauce


So I put the cider in parenthesis because I didn't use cider like the recipe called for, finding unsweetened cider is difficult.  And if I had found it I would have then had to make sure that the "spices" were something I could actually have, so I decided to just use the Simply Apple Juice instead and it is really just unsweetened apple with nothing added.

I really liked how this turned out, very tasty, if I'm feeling like chicken I'm bound to make it again.  Chicken isn't one of my favorite meats, I know I'm weird.  I paired it with a boiled artichoke which we dipped in lemon juice and butter.  I know it's a pretty strange combination, but that's what sounded good while shopping and they really did go alright together.  I decided to skip making any rice, quinoa or something of the sorts, I'm glad I did because the chicken and artichoke were enough for dinner without adding anything else.

I was thinking I didn't change to much up, that is until I retyped the recipe and now I realized I might have changed more then I thought.  I left the salt and pepper off the chicken, there was enough flavor without it so I didn't really miss it one bit.  I had read the reviews online and everything said that there wasn't enough sauce and it was recommended to double it, I also read something about adding chopped apples for added flavor.  So for the sauce this is what I really added: 13.5 oz bottle of Simple Apple Juice, 1/2 medium onion minced, 3 slices of turkey bacon chopped, 1 cup of low sodium chicken broth and about 3 slices of apple minced.  I added the chopped apples to the sauce at the same time as the bacon.
______________________________________________

Chicken with Cider and Bacon Sauce
from: CookingLight

Ingredients:
4 (6 ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 bacon slices, chopped
1/4 cup minced fresh onion
3/4 cup unsweetened apple cider
1/2 cup fat-free, less sodium chicken broth

Preparation:

Place each chicken breast half between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; pound to a 1/2 inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin.  Sprinkle chicken evenly with salt and pepper.

Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp.  Remove bacon from pan.  Add chicken to drippings in pan; cook 6 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from pan; keep warm.

Add onion to pan; cook 2 minutes or until tender, stirring constantly.  Add cider and broth; bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.  Cook until broth mixture is reduced to 1/2 cup (about 5 minutes).  Stir in cooked bacon; serve sauce over chicken.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting combo! It looks good though =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the artichoke and chicken combo was strange... but they were both good and we ate the artichoke more as an appetizer as we waited for the sauce to reduce. :)

    ReplyDelete