Saturday, June 23, 2012

Hominy Succotash with Bacon


I should start by saying I didn't actually cook this, Richard did.  But I would have had I not been carrying around a fussy baby. 

I like everything in this so I think it's pretty good.  We used milk instead of cream because we keep milk in the house and not cream.  I think it would be richer with the cream but it isn't worth the added expense.  Richard isn't a huge fan of lima beans so he's trying to figure out something to hide them a bit.  He thinks it needs a little bit more something and is planning on playing with seasonings or maybe adding some cheese to a little bit of it.  Or a different bean.  I'm thinking maybe half kidney beans and half lima beans would be good in the future.  And it needs more bacon, because everything is better with bacon and the more the better.

Long story short, it's a tasty little side dish.  I'm thinking we'll probably make it again but we will have to work on tweaking things a bit so Richard doesn't have to pick out all the lima beans.  And honestly while I like them, I don't want a whole bowl of lima beans because Richard picked them all out.
___________________________

Hominy Succotash with Bacon
from: Safeway kitchens

4 slices Bacon
1 15.5 oz can Golden Hominy, drained
1 15.5 oz can White Hominy, drained
1 15 oz can Lima Beans, drained
1/2 cup cream or milk

Cook bacon in a medium skillet over medium heat until crisp.  Remove to paper towels.  Measure 3 tablespoons drippings and return to skillet.  Stir hominy and beans into drippings.  Cook until hot.  Stir in cream or milk.  Cook 2 minutes.  Crumble bacon; sprinkle on top.  Makes 6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment