Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Turkey Stuffed Zucchini


I decided to make up for my lack of cooking the last few weeks and am making a few things this week.  Go me!  Richard and I both liked these, we liked the turkey stuffing, we liked the zucchini, we think we might like them both seperate a little better then we liked them together.  Especially for two whole halves of it.  One half is about all we needed and it would be good with something else, we just don't know what yet.   They are good, probably not something I'll make very often, but I don't think it's something I'll never make again either.  Oh, and it took me more then 50 minutes, maybe it'll take less next time, but this certainly took me longer!  I call this a weekend recipe, it takes to long to make after work!

Richard thinks the stuffing goes well on tortilla chips, he thinks it has a bit of a mexican taste.  I don't think it tastes mexican, it is more like italian seasonings to me.  But we both agree the left overs should make tasty burritos.  We're thinking to take the stuffing and some black beans, put it in a shell and add a little sour cream.  Yum!  And then we'll cut up the zucchini boat and eat it with the burritos.  Sounds like tasty left overs to me!

I left out the rosemary, partially because we just gave away the fresh plant we had, and partially because the directions never said to put it in so I completely forgot about it.  I didn't miss it, I think rosemary is a strong flavor and this really does have enough flavor already!

Very tasty and I can't wait for the left overs as burrito's!  I'll let you know how that turns out! 

So I made the left over burrito for dinner tonight.  All I did was cut up one half of the zucchini and reheat everything on the stove.  Once hot I placed it in a burrito shell and ate up.  I must say it was even better the second day, and a very good way to use 4 points.  I want to try it some time with the black beans and sour cream but I didn't have many points left for today since I'm making the stuffed artichokes so this is what I had.  Honestly I'm not certain it would be better the other way, this was super tasty.  I might make these again just to eat them as left overs.  YUM!



Turkey Stuffed Zucchini
Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes

Servings: 4 (2 halves) • Time: 50 minutes • Points: 4 ww points

Ingredients:
4 medium zucchini
1 tsp butter
1/2 small onion, finely diced
1 shallot, minced
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tbsp white wine
1.3 lb (20.8 oz) ground turkey (99% fat free)
1 large egg white
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 cup fat free chicken broth
2 tbsp seasoned breadcrumbs
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp fresh chopped rosemary
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp marjoram
1 tsp dried basil
Salt and fresh pepper

Preheat oven to 400°. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and using a spoon or melon baller, scoop out flesh, leaving 1/4" thick. Arrange in a baking dish. Chop the scooped out flesh of the zucchini in small pieces.

In a large saute pan, melt butter and add onion, shallot and garlic. Cook on a medium-low flame for about 2-3 minutes, until onions are translucent. Add chopped zucchini and season with a pinch of salt, cook about 2-3 minutes. Add wine and cook until it reduces. Add ground turkey and season with salt and pepper, cooking until turkey is white, breaking up in smaller pieces. Add paprika, garlic powder, marjoram and basil. Mix well and cook another minute.

Place turkey meat in a large mixing bowl and set aside to cool. When cooled, add parmesan cheese and egg white, mix well. Using a spoon, fill hollowed zucchinis with stuffing, pressing firmly and top with bread crumbs. Place chicken broth in bottom of the baking dish and cover tightly with foil. Bake 35 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment